Friday, December 27, 2013

VDV Four Advent Day 7: Glitter Pinecones

This advent day was a craft activity, with the result being something I will bring out every year as a part of our Christmas decorations. Over the fall, I collected a bunch of the hard pine cones from a neighbouring house's lawn. We would walk by this house numerous times, either to grocery shop or take Bug to school; so I started picking up the really good ones that were close to the sidewalk. I didn't have a full purpose in mind at the time, I just knew we could do a craft with them one day. Then, during my planning phase for our advent activity list, I thought of glittering these pine cones and putting them on display in a glass jar for a center or mantel piece during the holidays. Every time there was a coupon at Michaels, I went and bought a bottle of glitter I wanted to use, and in the end purchased 3 different colours (green, red, and iridescent). I also purchased some mod podge. All of these items were bought with a 40% or 50% coupon and the glass jar I obtained from Dollarama for $2.00. Also from the dollar store, I bought some ziploc bags so we had a place to put our glitter.

I got Bug to help paint the mod podge onto the pine cones, and then we placed them into one of the glitter bags. Bear was able to help us out at this point by shaking the bag to get the pine cone fully glittered. The boys loved that part!
The finished product was so pretty!
Francis was found this morning building a house of cards!


No comments:

Post a Comment